Greg 'n Keetha Stuff

OK, let's be honest. This is really KEETHA stuff. Sometimes I write about Greg - - - but he has never in his life made one single post of his own. He has occasionally made a comment or two. So - - - come on in and visit with me, Keetha, for a while. I'd love it if you left your foot prints. (Interpretation: COMMENT PLEASE ;-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, United States

Come on in. I'm a Wisconsin Badger who is Older than Dirt, Busy, Bubbly, Passionate, and a Prolific Communicator.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Speaking of Sentimental - - -


These little wooden houses are sentimental to me.

My Uncle Mac and Aunt Farol were dairy farmers in the rolling hills of southern Wisconsin. Their farm was absolutely gorgeous with a creek cutting its way through a deep valley and flowing beneath a large sandstone formation at one end of the gorge. As a girl I spent many hours splashing in that creek beneath the sandstone wall.

Well, the Army Corps of Engineers decided they WOULD build a flood control dam in that area, and said dam was going to turn our beloved farm into a lake bed. Uncle Mac and Aunt Farol had no choice but to sell their farm to the state and move off their land.

Before leaving, they saved much of what they could from their land, their home, and their barn.

These little houses are actually small sections cut out of the barn beams and hand painted. The shingles on the roof are farm pine cone scales each glued down individually. The colors and styles are reminiscent of Aunt Farol's farmhouse.

Now if I just had some of their homemade maple syrup the picture would be complete - - - -


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had NO IDEA there was a story behind those little houses!!!! That's so AWESOME!!! Uncle Mac...who Mackinley is named after!!!!

12/20/2006 12:17 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

That's right - - - and there's more - - - - one of them is yours, one is Kelly's, and one is Korie's. One of these days I'll have to send yours home with you - - - - but I've loved them so much I've hated to break up the set.

12/20/2006 4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwww but then you wouldn't have ANY!!!! You keep them, Mom!!! Just put them in your will! LOL

12/20/2006 8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story! I may ask for permission to write it up for a Chicken Soup book one day.

12/20/2006 11:04 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Oh Keri, are you sure??? I've been feeling so guilty about keeping them here - - - but they make such a nice little set - - - and they are SO my favorites.

Char, have you had stories accepted for Chicken Soup books? Too cool.

I didn't tell the ending - - - - after my Aunt and Uncle were forced to sell and move, lawsuits forced the Army Corps to recant - - - and the dam was never built. At least that beautiful property wasn't spoiled - - - but it is no longer in our family.

12/20/2006 5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a story in Rocking Chair Reader - Family Gatherings, which is a similar type of compilation book.

Too sad! Too bad it couldn't revert to the original owners. But that probably would have meant another lawsuit . . .

12/21/2006 12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home