Greg 'n Keetha Stuff

OK, let's be honest. This is really KEETHA stuff. Sometimes I write about Greg - - - but he has never in his life made one single post of his own. He has occasionally made a comment or two. So - - - come on in and visit with me, Keetha, for a while. I'd love it if you left your foot prints. (Interpretation: COMMENT PLEASE ;-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, United States

Come on in. I'm a Wisconsin Badger who is Older than Dirt, Busy, Bubbly, Passionate, and a Prolific Communicator.

Monday, May 05, 2008

Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe


I'll TRY to give you the recipe for my chicken and rice casserole. HOWEVER, since I don't measure anything and just dump stuff together, that will be a bit of a challenge!!!

1) Boil 3 - 4 large chicken breasts, cool, dice meat.

2) Use the broth to cook 1 to 1 1/2 C raw rice with chopped peppers and onions (1/4 C each) and salt and pepper to taste.

3) While the rice is cooking combine one can cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 - 3/4 C mayo (NOT Miracle Whip) in a large mixing bowl. When smooth and creamy blend in one can of sliced water chestnuts, a small can of mushrooms, and the diced chicken.

4) When the rice is done, stir it into the chicken mixture.

5) Lightly spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with Pam. Pour in casserole mixture, sprinkle one 2 C bag of grated cheese (I used Co-Jack) on top.

6) Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 - 45 minutes until bubbly and browned on top.

7) Variation: The original recipe called for placing half the casserole mixture in the pan and then sprinkling on a thin layer of Pepperidge Farm stuffing crumbs. Then spread the rest of the casserole mixture on top of that and finish off with another layer of crumbs. I added the cheese (which in my opinion is a MUST) I didn't have the crumbs this time, but they also add flavor and texture and I do recommend using them.

Bon Appetite!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Sounds great, I am going to have to try this!

5/05/2008 6:26 AM  
Blogger Shoemaker Family said...

I'm going to make it and post my pic...looks oh so yummy!!!

Praying for your Aunt Kitty and family and the doctors...

5/05/2008 7:37 AM  
Blogger Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

my fmaily will be all over this one!

5/05/2008 9:00 AM  
Blogger Char said...

Thanks Keetha! I love easy recipes like this one where all meal components, starch, protein, and vegetable can be thrown into one pan. I'm going to make it with some steamed broccoli and let you know how it turns out.

5/05/2008 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We make something similar like this but we add corn flakes mixed with butter ontop of the casserole! Very good!

5/05/2008 2:39 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Wow - - - looks like this little 'ol casserole was a big hit!!!

Buttered cornflakes are GREAT on top of casseroles. I do that sometimes too - - - but this one is really good just "plain" and its quicker that way.

5/05/2008 5:57 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

BTW - - - who are you, anonymous???

5/05/2008 5:58 PM  
Blogger Keri said...

This is one of my favorite comfort foods from childhood! Trust me, people, it's yummy!!

5/08/2008 1:37 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Yah, one of mine too - - - that's why I ate the WHOLE casserole BY MYSELF!!!!

5/08/2008 4:07 PM  
Blogger Mary Lou said...

Thanks for the casserole recipe, it is GREAT!
Love ya!
Mary Lou

5/08/2008 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home