Greg 'n Keetha Stuff

OK, let's be honest. This is really KEETHA stuff. Sometimes I write about Greg - - - but he has never in his life made one single post of his own. He has occasionally made a comment or two. So - - - come on in and visit with me, Keetha, for a while. I'd love it if you left your foot prints. (Interpretation: COMMENT PLEASE ;-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, United States

Come on in. I'm a Wisconsin Badger who is Older than Dirt, Busy, Bubbly, Passionate, and a Prolific Communicator.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Keri's Sentimental Nativity


Keri mentioned earlier in a comment that she felt sentimental attachment to the nativity that was Greg's "pride and joy." This is that nativity.

For at least the first 10 years of our marriage, the only nativity we had to display at Christmas time was an all-in-one plastic scene about 6 inches long, 3 inches deep, and 4 inches high. The people and animals were tiny and glued into place. It had glittler sparkling on its roof as wanna-be snow.

I was somewhat attached to it as it had been given to me at a school Christmas exchange when I was in the elementary grades.

Greg thought it was abominable.

One year, just after Christmas, he found these little nativity figurines in a store. No kresh, just the figurines. Since Christmas was over, they were half price. They were also made of fine porcelain instead of plastic. He didn't even hesitate - - - he brought them home.

For years afterwards when visitors would come to our house during the Christmas season (and well - - - up until February really since I often don't undecorate until then) he would pick up one of these figures, show it proudly to the guest, and make sure they read the bottom where it says, "Lefton" china.

Beats grade school plastic any day.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The china nativity is also mentioned on the video that was produced by "Keri" (staring the family) when Kyle was a baby!!!

12/19/2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

You are absolutely right. Greg walked around our house filming everything and talking about it as he went - - - - this nativity was new then, so OF COURSE he spent 10 minutes talking about it. Hehehehehehe

12/19/2006 9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh yes, there it is!!! You know, when I was looking at the other one, I thought it didn't look the same but then I figured I was just getting old.

What happened to the plastic one??? I loved that one, too!!! I loved how teeny the people were and the glitter on the roof was awesome! Didn't it have a hole in the back so you could put a light through??

12/20/2006 12:15 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

I still have the plastic one - - - - but in the past few years when I haven't been dragging EVERYTHING out, I've kept it packed away. Maybe I'll look for it during break and get it back out.

12/20/2006 4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to know that Greg has good taste.

12/20/2006 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful to see all your decorating and hear the sweet stories of Christmas present and past. Its cool to catch up with you again, Keetha, and see what's happening in your world. I think I forgot about you collecting nutcrackers. That's good information to know....Merry Merry Christmas!

12/20/2006 11:51 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Jeany - - - wish you could be with us one year and see the decorating - - - and us - - - in person. And about collecting nutcrackers, it just sorta evolved that way. We do have one really cute one of a nutcracker fisherman - - - guess who it belongs to!!!

Keri - - - I can't find the little plastic manger scene in the box I THOUGHT it was in - - - hope it wasn't a casualty of one of our moves.

12/20/2006 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The nutcracker fisherman sounds adorable. Yes, I would love to come up one year with mom. Would be so much fun, maybe we should start planning now in order to make it happen.

12/26/2006 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home