Greg 'n Keetha Stuff

OK, let's be honest. This is really KEETHA stuff. Sometimes I write about Greg - - - but he has never in his life made one single post of his own. He has occasionally made a comment or two. So - - - come on in and visit with me, Keetha, for a while. I'd love it if you left your foot prints. (Interpretation: COMMENT PLEASE ;-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, United States

Come on in. I'm a Wisconsin Badger who is Older than Dirt, Busy, Bubbly, Passionate, and a Prolific Communicator.

Friday, August 24, 2007

My Blogging Blues - - -


Blew away!!!

OK, so I was sitting on the couch a little while ago, watching a Big Ten football preview show when suddenly out of the south west a HUGE gale of wind struck the corner of our house - - - the corner I was facing. One GLANCE out the window curdled my blood, so I RAN to the laundry room and crouched on the floor, still eating my pepper-jack cheese. In a moment I heard hail trying to come through the front door, which terrified me even more and I ran for the pantry where I sat shaking in a heap.

What was Greg doing during all of this??? Standing at the front door windows looking south west toward the storm, of course.

In a minute or less it was all over.

I came out of hiding and here is a BIT of what I saw - - -


MY wicker furniture blew from my front porch into the yard between our house and the neighbors. Notice in the background the downed tree. You can't really tell in this picture, but the dark end of the tree is where it was uprooted with the dirt still clinging to it. (The white spots are raindrops on the camera lens, not ghosts!!)


Better angle of my poor abused wicker.


Here's what's left of our lovely shade tree. (It was actually on the golf course, but shaded our yard in the morning.) When this is cleaned up, the view from our deck is going to be rather empty and sad.


This is the edge of that big downed shade tree. Notice all the debris is going away in a semi-straight path. ALL the downed trees are in that same general line, all pointing at each other. Because of that, we think it must have been a small twister which touched down about 30 feet to the east of our house.


The trunk on the left is that same lovely shade tree, but the "spike" behind and beyond it is another tree snapped off on the golf course. We think there are between ten and twenty trees down on the course. Glad that won't be MY clean-up bill!!! Greg's glad that a few of them went, they were always jumping right in front of his golf shots.


Snapped off and pointing at the sky!!!

I missed the whole Big Ten football preview show!!! Shed a little tear for me! ;-)


12 Comments:

Blogger Keri said...

WOW Mom!!! I'm so glad you're ok and your house is ok!!! I would have been trembling in the closet, too!

8/25/2007 12:21 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

I think if it WAS a tornado that it waited to touch down until it was at our edge of the golf course. HOWEVER - - - that is only about 30 - 40 feet from our back door.

There is A LOT more damage than what my camera could show. It was getting dark and I couldn't get the best shots. I'll see what I can do in the daylight.

We had MORE people crawling around out there last night than we've EVER had in our backyard before!!!!

8/25/2007 4:17 AM  
Blogger Kathy (Pearson) Troyer said...

Whew! What a storm. So glad you are okay.

8/25/2007 9:08 AM  
Blogger grammy said...

Try to understand...I am shedding "tears of joy" that you guys are OK...but so far no tears for the missed football game!!! Maybe they will come later!!! Ha!

8/25/2007 11:14 AM  
Blogger The Hollands said...

Wow! Well you asked for something "creative" to blog about!! tee/hee Glad you're okay...we were in between our house and Eastbrook High School....wouldn't you know our game was rained out!!

8/25/2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe it!! I'm glad you're okay!! We did not get that bad- just lightning and some rain! That would have been very scary! At least you had some good cheese to keep you company! :)

8/25/2007 6:29 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Hollands, I remember a time when straight line winds knocked power lines down on the porch roof of what is NOW your house - - - don't think you lived there then. Guess it was OUR turn this time.

Shannie - - - later in the evening Greg found the pepper-jack cheese in the pantry where I FINALLY set it down!!! I was so scared I FORGOT I had it in my hand.

8/26/2007 4:28 PM  
Blogger Char said...

Glad you guys are okay. The weather reports of tornadoes Etc., don't sound too good.

8/26/2007 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm, i just LOVE cheese. ;-)

8/26/2007 6:38 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Hello "i" - - - I guess I just love it too!!

8/26/2007 6:59 PM  
Blogger Eily Renee & Malakai Andrew Hawk said...

Holy Cow! It wasn't nearly that bad at our house... and we're just a couple miles away. Weird! Glad you survived though!

-Michelle

8/27/2007 11:09 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

I wasn't very BRAVE though, I don't think hiding in a closet will win me any merit badges!!! :-)

8/27/2007 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home