Greg 'n Keetha Stuff

OK, let's be honest. This is really KEETHA stuff. Sometimes I write about Greg - - - but he has never in his life made one single post of his own. He has occasionally made a comment or two. So - - - come on in and visit with me, Keetha, for a while. I'd love it if you left your foot prints. (Interpretation: COMMENT PLEASE ;-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, United States

Come on in. I'm a Wisconsin Badger who is Older than Dirt, Busy, Bubbly, Passionate, and a Prolific Communicator.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Words Will Hurt - - -


I don't usually put an editorial on my blog, but I am today.

If you live in America and are not in a coma, I fail to see how you could have missed all the furor this week over words spoken on the public air-waves by a prominent radio talk show host.

I don't think the point of all this is really whether or not you like the talk show host, or whether or not other people or groups of people have ever used ill-advised language. I don't think this is simply about racism or the use of racism as humor. I don't even think the point of all this is whether or not reaction this week has been too fast or too "knee-jerk."

I DO think the point of this IS words. Once spoken, they cannot be taken back. Once spoken they are "out there" to help or to harm. Makes what words we use of utmost importance, doesn't it?

Remember the old adage we yelled at another child, with tears streaming down our face, when we were 8? "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will NEVER hurt me." It wasn't true then, and it isn't true now.

Even though less poetic the phrase should have been:

Sticks and stones may break my bones which will eventually heal and not bother me to speak of later, but words WILL hurt me now and continue to hurt me on a level that will never completely heal and that I will never forget.

9 Comments:

Blogger . said...

I'm just sending out a quick note that I'm back blogging on a (semi)regular basis.

4/14/2007 3:39 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

Well, I've missed quite a few posts from you. I kinda, sorta caught up. Good to see you Friday. :)

4/14/2007 10:28 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Good to see you too - - - and THANKS for the delicious treat!!!!

4/15/2007 6:51 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Char - - - I liked your comment, and agreed with it. However, I decided not to name the name on my blog - - - so I took your comment down. Resubmit it sans name if you'd like to - - - it was a great comment.

4/15/2007 4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Keetha. Words are more powerful than most people realize ...

4/15/2007 10:51 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Hi Dan - - - - thanks for coming by.

4/16/2007 3:52 AM  
Blogger Char said...

Okay, here's a generic version of my comment:

"It can take a lifetime to reach the top of your career, but only a few seconds to bring it down."

This is a paraphrased version of a comment made by a news commentator regarding the recent "war on words."

4/16/2007 3:05 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

And what a true assessment of the situation!!!

4/16/2007 5:20 PM  
Blogger Kathy (Pearson) Troyer said...

Preach it, sister! Well spoken. I've heard it said that retracting spoken words is like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube. KT

4/19/2007 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home