Greg 'n Keetha Stuff

OK, let's be honest. This is really KEETHA stuff. Sometimes I write about Greg - - - but he has never in his life made one single post of his own. He has occasionally made a comment or two. So - - - come on in and visit with me, Keetha, for a while. I'd love it if you left your foot prints. (Interpretation: COMMENT PLEASE ;-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, United States

Come on in. I'm a Wisconsin Badger who is Older than Dirt, Busy, Bubbly, Passionate, and a Prolific Communicator.

Friday, September 28, 2007

And Here's What We Saw - - -

Primary Succession. (Begins with new bare rock, and takes CENTURIES - maybe eons - to complete)


Close-up of some pioneer species. (The FIRST to come into a bare rock community. They are able to begin to break the rock down to form soil.) This rock is covered with several varieties of lichen and some moss - - - pioneer species all!!


Secondary Succession. (Happens in places where soil already exists - - - like this plowed field allowed to lie fallow.)


Close up of some of the grass, wild flowers, and weeds in the field. There were also some very young saplings, but they didn't make this photo.


Climax Community. (The end result of succession) In Indiana the climax community is a temperate hardwood forest. Can anyone identify this scene?

13 Comments:

Blogger Eily Renee & Malakai Andrew Hawk said...

Some rocks ... some grass ... and a stream. Hmmmm, I think I'll stick with English. Thanks though! HA :)

-Michelle

9/29/2007 2:20 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

LOL Michelle!!!! I'll give you a HINT - - - It's a RIVER, and it's not too far from where you and I both live - - - - and we're standing on a BRIDGE - - - - AND we're near the entrance of THE big park in town - - -

Any help yet?!?

9/29/2007 3:49 PM  
Blogger Toevs said...

Keetha,

I had a wierd typo there... could you please delete that comment?

Thanks!

9/29/2007 7:09 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Ronda, I can ONLY delete if if you promise to post it again!!!! (It's all about comment count totals, you know!!)

9/29/2007 7:28 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Also, Ronda, you were right in your guess - - - but which bridge?

9/29/2007 7:30 PM  
Blogger Toevs said...

Thanks, Keetha! :-)

My guess was Matter Park and the Mississinewa River.

Which bridge? Hmmm... not sure if I know the answer to that one.

9/30/2007 7:55 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Another BIG clue, Ronda - - - It's JUST outside Matter Park - - - -

9/30/2007 8:04 PM  
Blogger Keri said...

I was gonna say Matter Park but thought I was wrong so decided against it. LOL

10/01/2007 11:02 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Nope - - - you were RIGHT!!!

10/01/2007 4:23 PM  
Blogger grammy said...

Whew!!! Glad I didn't guess...I thought it was the run-off at the golf course from Greg watering his new grass!!!

This is a beautiful scene. With the harvest moon coming up...wouldn't that make a pretty picture???

10/02/2007 9:46 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

It would - - - only in order to see the harvest moon, we'd have to look the OTHER way off the bridge, and the scene that way isn't so "woodsy" - - - it's got city buildings in it.

10/02/2007 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has to be Matter Park. It has been years since I have been there.
yackiesue

great pictures.

10/15/2007 11:14 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

It is Matter Park and the Mississinewa River picture is taken from the Highland Street bridge.

10/16/2007 4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home