Greg 'n Keetha Stuff

OK, let's be honest. This is really KEETHA stuff. Sometimes I write about Greg - - - but he has never in his life made one single post of his own. He has occasionally made a comment or two. So - - - come on in and visit with me, Keetha, for a while. I'd love it if you left your foot prints. (Interpretation: COMMENT PLEASE ;-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, United States

Come on in. I'm a Wisconsin Badger who is Older than Dirt, Busy, Bubbly, Passionate, and a Prolific Communicator.

Friday, April 18, 2008

This Ain't Southern California, Folks - - -


But we had an earthquake this morning anyway!!!

I was sitting in my chair having my devotions when I felt like the chair was floating. Then I looked at my husband who was brushing his teeth and saw him stop, and put his hand up to the mirror, the LARGE WALL MIRROR, to steady it's shaking.

It felt surreal. It didn't stop instantly - - - took several seconds to stop quaking. I thought it was much longer. Scary.

According to the news, it was 5.2 on the Richter Scale and the epicenter was just over the Indiana State line in Southern Illinois. Calls from folks who felt the tremor are pouring in from IL, IN, and MI.

So far not much damage reported.

Wow - - - what action early in the morning!!!

15 Comments:

Blogger Martin LaBar said...

Well, you don't feel those every day, do you. There are some in Southern California, for sure.

4/18/2008 7:18 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

've been singing Carole King's "I feel the Earth move under my feet..." all morning!!!

The kids at school are all agog over it.

I'm letting those who actually woke up and FELT it at 5:37 a.m. get an extra credit point for it.

Ahhhh - - - excitement in the midwest.

4/18/2008 9:08 AM  
Blogger Keri said...

Jason woke up and thought it was thunder!

Mackinley and I slept right through and had no clue what we were missing. I'm kind of sad I didn't wake up!

4/18/2008 10:32 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Well - - - when it gave the first little shake, I wasn't quite sure it was an EQ - - - but knew it couldn't be anything else. Then it started in again and lasted for what SEEMED like a long time - - - that kinda scared me 'cause I didn't know if it would stop or get worse.

It's sure been all the "buzz" at school today. I have a WHOLE stack of extra-credits on my desk to record in my grade book.

4/18/2008 10:42 AM  
Blogger I can't find my blog said...

Not what you expect in IN! We haven't had one in a while-of course, now we'll have one today!!

4/18/2008 11:14 AM  
Blogger Lone Butterfly said...

My Daddy called me this morning (he lives in mid-Ohio) to tell me he and my stepmum felt it!

He said it was really odd, and that what he noticed most was that the birds were much louder than usual...

4/18/2008 11:26 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

LOL Lone - - - I didn't notice the birds at all - - - I noticed my CHAIR swaying WITH ME IN IT.

4/18/2008 11:40 AM  
Blogger Bart and Paula Wakeman said...

WE felt it here over by Flint!! TOO CRAZY! Definitely NOT an experience you thnk you will have living in IN or MI!

4/18/2008 12:59 PM  
Blogger Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

WOW! I will bet that was wild!

4/18/2008 4:18 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

It was very surreal at the time - - - looking back I see I reacted quite humorously - - - but at the time I felt dread of what ELSE might happen. I ran and looked outside to see if a big rift had opened up in our front yard!!!! Hehehehehehehehehe

So - - - Paula felt it in MI and my cousin Dar checked in on the cbox and they felt it in KY - - - - so, pretty widespread.

4/18/2008 4:58 PM  
Blogger Marc and Charity said...

I heard that on the news last night! Crazy. Glad you are okay and nothing major fell off your walls. :)

4/19/2008 9:07 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Thanks, Charity. We had absolutely NO damage here, at least not VISIBLE damage. I've wondered how "healthy" all that shaking was for the structure of our house - - - but no cracks are VISIBLE at least.

4/19/2008 9:09 AM  
Blogger Char said...

I can't top that yet, but when "the big one" hits I'll tell you all about it.

4/19/2008 11:50 AM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

Believe it or not, we have earthquakes in New England too.

And when we lived in Missouri we actually had earthquake drills to practice what we'd do if that wicked New Madrid fault got active on us. It never did while we were there.

4/20/2008 1:12 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Actually, this EQ was caused by part of the New Madrid fault system.

4/20/2008 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home