Greg 'n Keetha Stuff

OK, let's be honest. This is really KEETHA stuff. Sometimes I write about Greg - - - but he has never in his life made one single post of his own. He has occasionally made a comment or two. So - - - come on in and visit with me, Keetha, for a while. I'd love it if you left your foot prints. (Interpretation: COMMENT PLEASE ;-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, United States

Come on in. I'm a Wisconsin Badger who is Older than Dirt, Busy, Bubbly, Passionate, and a Prolific Communicator.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

I Just Watched - - -

A rerun of the 2008 Scripps National Spelling bee, which a young man named Sameer Mishra from West Lafayette, Indiana won. Hooray for our side!!!

But the WORDS. Most of these I've never heard of, let alone SPELLED. Here are some of the last words of the competition:

parfleche - hairless preserved rawhide
huapango - Mexican folk dance
rhyton - drinking horn
sheitel - Jewish female wig
nacarat - vivid red
ecrase - crushed texture
posaune - trombone
thymele - Greek altar
oxylophytic - acidic soil loving (plant)
sinicize - modify by Chinese influence
aptyalism - absence of saliva
opificer - skilled artistic worker
hyphaeresis - omission of a sound or letter from the body of a word
kulturkampf - conflict between civil and religious authorities
taleggio - creamy cheese from whole cow's milk
introuvable - impossible to find
esclandre - incident which causes a scandal
prosopopeia - absent person speaking as if present
guerdon - reward

Whew - - - no WONDER I never entered a spelling bee!!!

17 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I remember I was in the spelling bee in fifth grade. I was out in the first round misspelling some simple word (I forget what it was now). Obviously, spelling is not my gift!

6/27/2008 8:05 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

I think we did some in our classroom in grade school too - - - but I NEVER entered beyond that.

6/27/2008 8:12 AM  
Blogger Jay & Tammy Tropf said...

Keetha.....I can't believe you wrote all of those words down! I just cracked up when I saw all of those! I LOVED spelling in school but never entered a contest! I remember when mom would quiz Matt on his words (who was a grade ahead of me!) and I wouldn't even give him time to answer before I'd blurt it out and he'd get so mad! Spelling was NOT his thing! I was not nice!

6/27/2008 8:33 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

LOL - - - why am I not SURPRISED to hear that you blurted out Matt's words!!!!

Hey - - - someone on my linkydoo list has made THEIR links SHOW the last time you posted on your blog - - - I was DESPERATE for new blog material since I hadn't posted since Wednesday!!! I was falling down to the bottom of her list!!!!

6/27/2008 8:49 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Oh yah Tammy, how many of THOSE words could you spell?????? Hmmmmmm?

6/27/2008 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what the? i can't even PRONOUNCE half of those words, let alone spell them. i swear they just make stuff up for spelling bees. :)

6/27/2008 9:22 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

LOL Haley!!!! But you are right - - - I couldn't pronounce MOST of them if I hadn't heard them being pronounced. And those spellers are 12 or 13 or younger!!!

6/27/2008 10:15 AM  
Blogger Jay & Tammy Tropf said...

Pretty sure he didn't have those words in elementary! I wouldn't even TRY!!!!

6/27/2008 10:53 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Oh but Tammy - - - these kids that were competing WERE all in elementary!!

Now see - - - you LAUGHED at me for writing down these words and blogging about them - - - but just looky here at all these comments, - - - this silly little post brought YOU back twice so far!!!

6/27/2008 11:03 AM  
Blogger grammy said...

My word for the day is "prosopopeia". Is this what we do when we blog? Now, will have to look up how to pronouce...I assume pro-so-pope-ia,right????

Another interesting blog Keetha.

6/27/2008 11:50 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

I'm not sure prosopopeia refers to blogging as much as to a DEAD person speaking, or a person far removed suddenly being HEARD. But, I guess we could use it anyway we choose.

I believe your pronunciation is right on.

This is the word the runner-up missed.

6/27/2008 11:56 AM  
Blogger Jay & Tammy Tropf said...

This is too funny! yes, brought me back a third too! Very interesting! I love the pics of Mark and Annette.....too cute! So, is Greg wanting a Harley now?

6/27/2008 12:26 PM  
Blogger Keri said...

"what's the problem, opificer?" - how Jason knows he needs to do a field sobreity test on someone

6/27/2008 12:41 PM  
Blogger Indian Lake Papa said...

Oh my! And I thought "cat" and "dog" were tough!

6/27/2008 2:14 PM  
Blogger Gerson & Betsy said...

This is hysterical! I am also amused that you took time to write the words and definitions down!!

6/27/2008 3:12 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Hey - - - I can "smell" a good blog post when I see one!

6/27/2008 3:40 PM  
Blogger grammy said...

Keri, I loved your use of the word "opificer", can't stop laughing on that one!!!!

6/27/2008 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home